A Gift From My Father

I inherited a peculiar gift from my father; milk upsets my system and triggers a series of nasty symptoms. My stomach rumbles and intestinal colic comes uncontrollably in waves, this is socially embarrassing when I am out with friends. Yes, you are right. I am lactose intolerant..Can you imagine what my life is like? I cannot even get away with a slice or two of cheese, no milk in my coffee, no milk on breakfast cereals, no ice creams. I do not drink milk anymore, I am a prime candidate for Osteoporosis.

So, interestingly, I was aroused by latest health article published in the American Journal Of Clinical Nutrition that moderate consumption of alcoholic beverages could improve the mirco-architecture of the bones; those who drank up to 2 glasses of beer had denser bones than non-drinkers.

This refreshing news confirmed that moderate consumption of alcohol by women is not deleterious to bone health, but may even be beneficial. However, binge drinking and drinking hard liquor instead of wine or beer may negate any benefits to bone; and a significantly lower Bone Mass Density.

Moreover, women who had drank in the past week, and whose average intake for the week was two alcoholic drinks a day, had an almost 60 percent lower stroke risk than those who never drank.

Beer is an excellent source of silicon, a mineral accounted for good bone health and the key to preventing Osteoporosis. Animals that are deprived of silicon have poorly developed skeletons and muscular systems.

It is the grain in beer that appears to provide an easily absorbable form of silicon. Although locally micro-brewed varieties have the purest grains, but any beer will do.

Unlike hard liquor that has had most of its natural substances distilled out, beer and wine also contain potentially beneficial plant substances such as Resveratrol, a powerful natural anti-oxidant.

So, there seems to be some good reasons to say cheers to strong bones... Hallelujah, bring out the beers, folks!



No comments: